Skip to main content

Passport program

Funding for community participation services and supports

The Passport Program, funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS), helps adults with a developmental disability be involved in their communities and live as independently as possible by providing funding for community participation services and supports, activities of daily living and person-directed planning. The program also provides funding for caregiver respite services and supports for primary caregivers of an adult with a developmental disability.

Table of contents

Filing Claims

Passport recipients who self administer their funding have two electronic options to submit claims that make the process simple and easy to manage.

What can I use the funding for?

Community participation and activities of daily living

  • Programs, classes and supports that help develop independence, social and life skills (e.g., literacy, cooking, managing money, computer skills, assistance with personal care needs). This includes fees and supplies
  • Participation in community activities and events (e.g., recreation, club memberships, admission to festivals and museums, sports)
  • Pre-employment and employment supports (e.g., skills training, resume development and job coaching)
  • Transportation for activities (e.g., transit, mileage, taxis)
  • Paying a support worker to help with community participation and daily living activities. This includes a support worker’s expenses while providing support (e.g., meals, transportation and activity fees, expenses for accompanying the individual during trips)

Caregiver respite

Caregiver respite is temporary help to provide a break to primary caregivers. This can be during the day, evening or weekend, and can be in-home or out-of-home.

Person-directed planning

Funding (up to $2,500) can be used to develop a person-directed plan that builds on the individual’s strengths and interests and identifies supports to help them achieve their goals. These supports can be purchased from independent planners, facilitators or developmental services agencies.


Funding can cover some employer costs (e.g., Canada Pension Plan contributions, Employment Insurance, etc.) and some administrative supports (e.g. bank fees, bookkeeping, etc.).

What's NOT covered?

Some of the items not covered under the Program include:

  • Housing and home maintenance (e.g., rent, home renovations or modications, housekeeping)
  • Household items and electronics (e.g., furniture, appliances, computers)
  • Indirect respite services and supports (e.g., cleaning, meal preparation, snow removal, care of other family members)
  • Holiday travel (e.g., personal or family vacations)
  • Telephone/telecommunications (e.g., home phone and internet service, cell phone services)
  • Groceries, food, and restaurant meals

Find your area Passport agency

There are 11 Passport agencies across the province. To find your area Passport agency, you must visit the ministry's contact information page.

Tip sheet and guidelines

Download a pdf version of the Passport Funding Tip Sheet for a full list of what is and is not covered under the Program and for full program guidelines, please click on the appropriate link below:

I have Passport funding, what next?

Here’s what happens after you receive funding

Once funding becomes available and an agreement has been made between the individual and the Passport Agency, individuals and their families will receive Passport funding directly to purchase supports and services on their own.

Adults with developmental disabilities and their families are asked to develop a detailed plan for the use of the funding. For more information on how to develop a plan, please contact your Passport Coordinator.

Need more information?

To find out what services are available in your area, or to apply, connect with Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) by calling 2-1-1, or find your area DSO.

Your Feedback is Important to Us!

Tell us how we're doing.